Even though I don't advocate asking students to complete digital worksheets, there are sure to be times when viewing and marking up Word or PDF documents found on the web is necessary and helpful.
Opening and editing Word and PDF documents on the Chromebook
- Install the Docs/PDF PowerPoint Viewer extension
- Immediately after installing a Docs PDF/Powerpoint Viewer Options tab will open, displaying the file types that will be opened in the Google Drive viewer.
- Check the PDF option (Option 1) at the top and then click Save at the bottom of the screen
- Click on a word document on any website
- The document will now open in the Google Drive Viewer
- To open and edit Word or PowerPoint click on the “Edit Online” icon
- This will make a new editable copy for the student to work on
- For PDF documents click “Add to Drive” icon
- Locate the PDF file in the Google Drive inbox, right click on the file and select PDF Zen
- In PDF zen use editing tools to mark up, click on “Actions” icon to save changes back to Google Drive or to get URL link for sharing or submitting in Moodle/Edmodo.