- For text-to-speech I recommend the Chrome extension - Chrome Speak or Select and Speak. The student highlights the text, right clicks and selects speak.
- The Google Dictionary extension will open a definition and audio for any word on any web page by double clicking the word.
- The Read & Write extension for Google Drive puts a toolbar on the top of the Google Docs editor that adds text-to-speech, a dictionary tool, visual dictionary tool, and special highlighting tools with extraction features.
- The Announcify extension takes online articles on sites like CNN or NYT and strips out all adds and distracting visuals, so that only text is visible, enables text-to-speech, and has easy option for enlarging text.
- Voice Recognition is a Chrome app that is equivalent to Dragon Dictation for doing voice-to-text.
Update: Thanks to Mike Marotta via Twitter who suggested Spell and Grammar Checker by Ginger
@kithard Great post. One other key support in Chrome for struggling writers is the Ginger Spell and grammar extension.